Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marin Headlands Hike



Liz, Mom, and I went for a hike with Liz's parent's hiking group. Tom was there along with all of family friends who meet up once a month to go on a hike. Good times. This is one of the things I've really enjoyed about California, people of all ages get out and do stuff. I don't know when or where my concept of "retirement" became holing up in your house and work on the dent in the Lazy Boy...

I do however know when and where my concept changed. Dave and I were in the Grand Tetons for my first real outdoor experience. I was dying. We just got into the elevation the day before, and I'm out of shape. We are going up to a lake at 8,000 ft, on a relatively easy hike looking back on it, but then, I was really gassing it. On the way up, I see this couple coming from deeper in the mountains, on that trail that sorta looks like a trail, that goes up, all twisty-like. The one you can't go on yet but have aspirations to do so in the near future. From that trail emerges a 60+ year old couple. Both not gray, but white hair, and BOOKIN. I mean BOOKIN. They are cruising out of those mountains with hiking poles and FULL packs. When I mean full, I mean 20-30lbs of tents and poles, sleeping bags and therma-rests, water-filters and food, pots and pans, the whole nine-yards and the kitchen sink. I will never forget them.

Here is a picture of the Tetons because I'm feeling nostalgic.
 
 

No comments: