Friday, July 25, 2008

Downturn Stocks

So I've been noticing something with this most recent downturn, as in life, there are winners and losers. In this case, most consumer related stores are tanking as spending is down, and anything with good worldwide penetration, or things that cater to cheapness are thriving. I thought that it might be a good idea to start a list of companies that I see doing well during this recession so that when the next one comes, and I actually have money (unless The American Dream is truly dead or dying- and I will be poor forever, which may just be the case, the middle class hasn't had a pay increase in 8 years now so...), I can properly shift my investments over to things that will likely do well during the downturn. Some of these need to be purchased at the beginning of the downturn (ie 6-12 months ago) and some need to be bought in the middle after some value has been shed (ie now):

1. Discount Stores- Walmart, Costco, etc
2. Mini-Storage Companies- Public Storage, etc.
3. Construction Machinery- Catepillar
4. Movie Companies- People need an escape even more
5. Alcohol related companies- specifically cheap ones (escape)
6. High Tech bargins- Google and Apple are low right now, good time to stock up
7. Fast Food Places- As much as I hate them McDonalds is doing well now- overseas.


Any other thoughts?

No comments: